A digital height gauge is a highly accurate measuring device which specifically
measures the difference in height between two points. They can be used for different purposes, such as measuring step heights, internal/external diameters, and radii. The digital height gauge can provide up to 0.0001” accurate results. The devices are usually made from hardened stainless steel, with a solid iron base to improve its stability and strength. The gauges can measure up to 80 inches or 2000 mm.
There are two main tools where height gauges are mostly used by technicians – table saw height gauge and router bit height gauge, as the name suggests these two devices are table saw and router bit, both tools are primarily used in woodworking.
- 1 Best Digital Height Gauges 2020
- 1.1 1. Wixey WR25 3″ Mini Digital Height Gauge
- 1.2 iGaging Digital Electronic Height Gauge with Magnetic Base, 6 Inch
- 1.3 GemRed Digital Depth Guage Height Gauge for Router Table
- 1.4 Taytools 0-6”, 0-150 mm, Digital Height Gauge
- 1.5 Pros:
- 1.6 Cons:
- 1.7 Capri Tools 20004 Mini Digital Height Gauge
- 2 Digital Height Gauge Buyer Guide 2020
- 3 Advantages of Digital Height Gauges
- 4 Popular Digital Height Gauge Brands
- 5 Digital Height Gauges According to Size
- 6 Other Types of Digital Height Gauges
- 7 How to Take Care of Your Digital Height Gauge
Best Digital Height Gauges 2020
The digital height gauge is completely different from normal height gauges. The results are displayed through a digital panel, and they are extremely accurate. Thus, they help you to complete your project faster. With advances in technology, these devices have been incorporated with the latest cutting-edge technology, and have become even more efficient than before. Some of the best digital height gauges have been developed in 2020.
A digital height measuring device makes the work of technicians and craftsmen
easier when it comes measuring various materials for projects. If you are looking for a quality, accurate electronic height measuring device, we can help you out to pick up the right one for your work. The buyer’s guide contains guidelines that are helpful to finalize the perfect option for your work.
1. Wixey WR25 3″ Mini Digital Height Gauge
One of the most trusted brands in measuring instruments market, Wixey’s mini digital gauge is truly amazing. It furnishes precise results and smartly designed legs provide a more stable and sturdy environment during measurements. It also has a digital display that looks bright and very responsive. Here are some of its pros and cons.
- Long battery life
- Very accurate results
- A little heavy
iGaging Digital Electronic Height Gauge with Magnetic Base, 6 Inch
One of the best selling Digital Gauge for height, iGaging Digital Electronic Height Gauge has a number of eye-catching and useful features including resistance to dust and oil. In addition to the magnetic base, the gauge also travels as long as 6 inches providing better measuring area and stability. From a distance, the device might look heavy but actually, it’s one of the lighter height gauges out there. Here are some of its top pros and cons:
- Bright and accurate display
- Long height
- Lightweight (comparatively)
- Grips well on rough surfaces
- Durable body
- A little expensive
GemRed Digital Depth Guage Height Gauge for Router Table
If you are someone who indulges in a lot of depth measurements this gauge by GemRed can be a definite pick for you. The machine has a very ergonomic design with sturdy magnetic legs, a large display, and a measuring range between 0-80mm. The pack also comes pre-placed with batteries so that you can just get to your work right away. Let’s look at its pros and cons:
- Heavy duty
- Smart useful design
- Bright/accurate display allows easy reading
- Power buttons available
- Extra batteries need to be bought.
Taytools 0-6”, 0-150 mm, Digital Height Gauge
With an accuracy of up to 0.01 inches per 6 inches, a large display with functional buttons, and a large sturdy base, this digital Height Gauge by Taytools can give a lot of gauges a run for their money. Although a little heavy, the overall device does a very impressive job of maintaining good balance while taking measurements. Talking about the 3-volt batteries that the device uses can last easily to a year as claimed by the makers. Here are some pros and cons of Taytools digital gauge laid out for you.
- Well balanced
- Highly accurate
- Longer battery life
- Sturdy and very durable
- Heavy and the based take-up a good amount of space, comparatively
- A little expensive
Capri Tools 20004 Mini Digital Height Gauge
Capri Tool’s Mini Digital Height Gauge has slowly grown into popularly thanks to its numerous features and consistency in performance. The device has a large display with clearly indicated buttons including power on/off and mm/inches/fraction conversion buttons. The two legs of the device are proportionate and provide the right amount of balance when measuring different depths. The overall design of the product is also very cool and allows for high portability. Here are some pros and cons.
- Conversion between mm, fraction and inches is an excellent help
- Very cost-effective
- Very accurate and reliable
- The quality is not as tough.
- The battery may not run low if you are a frequent user.
Digital Height Gauge Buyer Guide 2020
Digital height gauges contain a base plate, a height measuring station, and a control/result panel. Some gauges are capable of measuring 40 inches or more, but most of them can measure only up to 24 inches only. More often, they are used to measure objects within the 12-inch range. Since the base of the gauge is a part of its measuring circuit, the base on which the system rests on is important. The ideal height gauge should be placed on a 0 or 1-grade granite plate. The granite plate itself should be mounted on a stand that has been insulated against vibrations.
The quality of the result depends upon the type of instrument you obtain. However, the result is also heavily influenced by the operator’s use of the device.
So, in order to obtain accurate results, you will be required to handle this instrument with a lot of care.
Here are some things you should look for in an electronic height gauge:
- A hardened base that can slide over easily on the granite plate, and a plate that provides ease of use.
- Sufficient measurement range on the device
- A smart probe system that can measure ID and OD without any additional attachments
- An LCD display that is large, and easy to read.
- A device that has an adjustable beeper volume as well.
- The device should also be able to remember the last measurement even after the machine shuts down.
- A speed wheel which will be able to adapt to changes easily, along with a fine-tuning wheel to provide finer settings.
- The locking mechanism which can provide for scribbling
- A facility for an instant inch to millimeter conversion
- Automatic shut off facility which can save power
- Rechargeable batteries for extra battery life
- SPC capabilities.
Advantages of Digital Height Gauges
Obviously, the fact that digital height gauges are a lot more accurate than vernier height gauges makes them a lot easier to operate and manipulate. It is also easier to obtain the results from digital height gauges since they are clearly displayed on the digital panel. Thus, the world is quickly moving on to these electronic replacements of their manual counterparts.
Here are some of the major advantages of digital height gauges:
- Digital height gauges can be used in different ways.
- It is cheap and extremely easy to use.
- Because it is a digital mechanism, the readings are not very dependent on the user’s ability to operate the instrument. They provide accurate measurements on their own.
- The readings are easy to read because of the large display screens
- They help you to get your project done quickly and easily with minimum room for error.
- The results are as accurate as they get. As mentioned before, the difference between the reading and the actual measurement is never more than 0.0001 inch.
Popular Digital Height Gauge Brands
Because digital height gauges are extremely popular in the world of engineering, there are many companies that manufacture different forms of this device. While all these companies do a pretty good job in manufacturing fairly accurate machines, some companies surpass expectations and produce some of the best digital height gauges. Not only are these products extremely efficient, but they come with warranties as well. Also, they are tangible and lightweight, which makes them extremely portable as well.
Given below are some of the best and most popular digital gauge brands currently available in the market.
- Baker Digital Height Gauge
- Mitutoyo Digital Height Gauge
- Wixey Digital Height Gauge
- iGaing Digital Height Gauge
Digital Height Gauges According to Size
- 300mm digital height gauges
Usually, metric scales on digital height gauges range from 0 to 300mm and the imperial scale ranges from 0 to 12 inches. This is the most common type of digital height gauge available in the market. This basically means that you can measure height differences up to 300 mm or 12 inches with this device.
- 600 mm digital height gauges
Digital height gauges can also have a 0 to 24-inch range, or a 0 to 600 mm range. These are the more advanced type of digital height gauges, used to measure an increased difference of height between two points. In fact, there are some digital heights gauges can even measure differences up to 80 inches or 2000 mm.
Other Types of Digital Height Gauges
It is possible to divide digital height gauges into two distinct groups.
- The first group is very similar to mechanical height gauges. They have inch/metric conversion systems, absolute zero and floating zero and a data output channel.
- The second group includes all the features of the first group but provides much better accuracy. It also has additional features such as tolerance settings, ID/OD measurements, max/min, TIR and probe compensation.
- The last group has all the features of the first two groups, but its additional features make it the most efficient of the three. Height gauges belonging to this order have air bearings, automated touch probes, the ability to generate and store part programs, computer interfaces and the like. They are also able to measure two-dimensional surfaces as well. They are usually used in industrial settings where a high level of accuracy it requires.
How to Take Care of Your Digital Height Gauge
Although these devices are super accurate, they are also very sensitive and need to be handled with utmost care and patience. Here are some of the ways in which you can take care of your digital height gauge:
- Always keep the plate free from dirt and dust
- Do not use the instrument used for measuring the height for marking purposes
- Reset the instrument to zero after every use
- Use gloves to add the test piece on the surface of the instrument
- Keep the machine away from radiators
- Do not place the instrument in direct sunlight
- To get the best measurement, place the piece on the base plate and wait for it to adapt to the ambient atmosphere ( by adaptation we mean allowing the piece to expand or contract according to the temperature)